
Recently I had the thought that I should check the expiration date on Olivia's baby carrier (the expiration date is stamped on the back of every car seat). I had bought it new with the twins so I thought I had another year or so on it until it should expire. Wrong. It expired December 2007. I couldn't believe it, I thought that car seats lasted 7-8 years. I checked it out online and found out that after 6 years the plastic in the car seat could break down and be unsafe in a collision. There are crash test demos online of what could happen and it is not very pretty. So because I didn't check earlier, my baby has been using an old expired car seat and I didn't even know. I could have had a cute new trendy one all along for her. Oh well. I had to order a new convertible for her because get this: all 3 of our toddler seats are expired also. The sad thing is that we can't even give them away because they are considered dangerous so I just have to throw them all away.
Moral of the story: Check all of your car seats (infant carriers through boosters) to make sure they haven't expired. You only have 6 years so if you have used a car seat through 2-3 kids it is probably expired by now. Just tell your husband it is time to go shopping. Husbands love that.





3 comments:
I just did a survey through my other seats and ended up buying a pink backed booster-I assured Jeff that Bradford would never sit in it.
Have fun shopping!
I had no idea they expired either. I found out only by talking with other Moms, oh and it was 3 days before I had my last baby and needed a new car seat for the baby. The bad part was I didn't have any time to really shop for what I wanted I just picked the best I could find. On top of that we had booster seat that had expired too. We just recently had to replace that one.
I'll have to check all mine when Stephen gets home. The carrier one is from Ryan, so it's at least 8.5 years old! I never knew they expired!
Post a Comment